Friday, December 4, 2009

The Most Beautiful Place on Earth

After a week alternating between the redwood forest and Pacific beaches, where I said on a frequent basis such exclamations as "This is so beautiful!" and "Isn't this amazing?" I drove through a portion of the driftless region of Wisconsin today, in its leanest time of year, late fall, after the leaves of autumn are all gone and before any picturesque snow has accumulated. And as the hills rose and fell, as the sunlight shot from behind clouds, as the rolling land and the overlaid patchwork of fields and pastures was revealed to me, I once again exclaimed "This is the most beautiful place on earth." It is and I get to make it one of my part time homes. That is a delight.

1 comment:

Chuckles said...

Pat and I long ago saw a poster with a wonderful statement, and we remind each other of it frequently:

"Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground. It may be, could we look with seeing eyes, this spot we stand on is a paradise." - Christina Rossetti