Thursday, July 3, 2008

Wild Rose

When I rode my bike along the highway, they were there at the edges between the grassy ditch and the asphalt. When we took walks in the sand hills, they were nestled low to the grazed grass. When my dog and I rambled the little prairie between our house and the river, they were there among the waist high grass. Sometimes, we would pick one or two blossoms to float in a bowl and their fragrance would fill the room. Today after the rain at Bluff Fen Prairie, they were low among the other prairie plants and you could smell them before you could see them. Thier colors in this remnant priarie that has been freely pollinated for ten thousand years range from the palest of pink to a deep magenta. The raindrops and crisscrossing shadows of grasses just added layers to their precious beauty.

2 comments:

Gene said...

The Rosa arkansas is an under rated rose. But, a few people are starting to incorporate it into native plantings.

One such is a courthouse I bid on in Hastings MN.

I don't grow it but I hope to start soon. I hope someone will have the foresight to buy it.

goprairie said...

I tried moving some from ND to MN once but it languished. I suspect there are various strains that tolerate various soils and the one from sandy ND was not happy in the clay of IL. So be sure to match your source to your customers.