Friday, October 3, 2008

Construction Site Cleaning

It never fails to amaze and crush me that I can spend hours sweeping and scooping and dumping and vacuuming up bits of wood scraps and wood chips and wood shards and sawdust and bent nails and popped screw heads and snipped bits of wire and bits of stripped wire coating and grindings from cut plumbing and jagged bits of heating duct metal and bits of foam insulation and tufts of fiberglass insulation and sanding dust and drywall mud globs and drywall mud dust and paper snarls from drywall cut edges and boxes and bags and wrappings and labels and directions (never read by anyone at the construction site) and spare parts (which I am sure were truly spare and not necessary at all) and assorted other unidentifiable debris and then come back the next morning or maybe even in a hour or two and find more of it right where I cleaned. I have thought at great length about it since the project began on April 16 and I as the homeowner realised I was not going to be held in high esteem as Her Highness The Homeowner Who Gets All She Demands Because She Is In Charge Because It Is Her Home That Is Being Built but rather The Clean Up Gal. Here is what I have concluded: There is so very much debris that it would defy the laws of physics for it all to coexist in the space of this dimension, complicated by the fact that debris from various subcontractors can coexist as peacefully as the subs themselves get along. So some of the debris squeezes into alternate dimensions. When I clean, I clear out the debris taking up the space in this dimension, allowing the debris suspended in alternate dimensions to pop back into this, its original dimension, and re-inhabit the space. I wonder how many layers of it are there in how many alternate dimensions and how long it will keep popping back to be swept and scooped and vacuumed?

1 comment:

Paddle said...

I think you're on (to) something here. This theory might also be applicable to explaining where all my socks go.