Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Timber Frame Stands!

The wonderful people from the timber framers worked long long days and put up with hot sun and drying wind and mosquitos and pouring rain and muddy soil that clung to our boots and cold wet rain and wind so strong it blew ladders over. They did not complain and they worked hard and they joked and laughed and they patiently answered all my questions and explained each thing I wondered about.
In the end, I had them sign the frame in a secret place, and their fearless leader posted on the completed peak a sapling white pine that the construction manager cut for us.

This house frame is a work of art, the product of fine hand craftsmanship, and the result of teamwork and dedication. It will be a happy place full of laughter and happy times. It will be a place that connects people with nature. It will host people coming to play on the water at the lake, to hike on nearby trails, and to climb the red quartzite rocks of Devil's Lake.
The frame is a product of nature, white pine logs, cut by people into timbers, and planed and sanded and cut into the dimensions of a plan that many people worked on over a year and a half.

I see the hands and hearts and minds of many talented and interesting and good people when I look at this house. It has had a very good start!

2 comments:

Chuckles said...

Okay. Here's a comment: I'm so jealous I could spit. WOW! Form, function, art. Who could ask for anything more...

Unknown said...

Holy cow.

That is BEAUTIFUL.

Mind if I move in to get away from my brood? I mean temporarily of course (crosses fingers behind back).