Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hillary's Speech

I take it for granted. I didn't know that people worked for 72 years to make it legal for women to vote. I didn't know that the right to vote came to women only 88 years ago. Imagine working for 72 years on an idea, to have it shot down again and again and again. for longer than many peoples' entire lifetimes. I have been working intermittently and occasionally and sporadically for prairie restoration and preservation for about about 15 years and I think that is a pretty big deal. I have had a few successes and more than few failures. And each failure about made me give up on it. I cannot imagine the disappointment that must have been in the air with each mounting defeat for the 72 years it took to get women their right to vote!
Yes, I really really really hoped for a woman president in my life time, and yes, I really thought Hillary Clinton had the stuff to be the first woman president, and yes, for quite a bit of the primary season, I really believed it would happen. The disappointment was hard to shake. It is hard to shift loyalty to Barrack Obama. But it is the right thing to do. If this primary campaign had been Barrack against nearly any other possible candidate, Barrack WOULD have been my certain choice. Wait, is David Carradine a Democrat? I might have picked him over Barrack. But I don't think he ever expressed much interest. So I will support Barrack Obama. Because a vote for John McCain is a vote against fairness and equality for women. Any man who would joke that his wife should be in a beauty pageant just doesn't GET IT. Obama gets it. He conducted a respectful campaign against Hillary Clinton. I have heard too many bitter Clinton supporters say they are going to just not vote. I have heard others say they are going to write in for Hillary. The first option, not voting, is a slap in the face to all those people who worked for 72 years to get you the right to vote. Not voting is NOT an option. The second proposal of writing in Hillary Clinton might feel good. But it will be a wasted vote. There will never be enough people doing that to make a difference. You got your chance to vote for Hillary Clinton in the primaries and I hope you did, but now is the time to support Hillary Clinton by voting for the candidate her party, the Democrats, will run for president. Now is the time to, like Hillary Clinton, support and vote for Barrack Obama. It is your duty to those people who worked to get you a vote for 72 years and it is your duty to Hillary Clinton and it is your duty if you are someone who thinks '4 more years of the last 8 years' is a terrible idea. Please don't squander your vote trying to make some point. Support Hillary by supporting the Democrats by supporting Barrack Obama for President in 2008. That is how we will make history.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point and right on target. Go Hillary and go Barack. I Clifford know enough to know that no to GWBJr. is more important than any flight of fancy by those who worshipped all things Hillary. She has told you what direction the wind is blowing so turn your blades and help blow Obama in to the Oval Office where he can keep Hillary's fight going....

goprairie said...

mighty wordy of you there, clifford. welcome to my little blog.

Anonymous said...

While I am not a Hillary fan, I do feel that she is an excellent stateswoman (omg I used the feminine instead of genderless form) and I love the grace and poise and strength with which she gave her eloquent soliloque for Obama. It does take a little bit of forever for public perception to change - it took hundreds of years to abolish slavery and a hundred more to establish the concept of equality among the sexes (admittedly not quite here yet)and then fifty more to establish that maybe all races were equal. I am perfectly happy to see that our society is begining to mature enough to engender the concept of a non-white male in office, much less a female of any race. Personally I think I would have a hard time voting between Mr. Obama and Mrs Clinton if they were running against each other as they are both strong, forward thinking individuals with an agenda that actually promotes the health and future of the American way of life we all enjoy (except for publicly funded health programs - that idea needs to be rethought). As for the old guy whom I am concerned is in the beginning stages of dementia (honestly, who doesn't know how many houses they own???), well - I don't think he has a real grasp of the "common man." Kudos to him for staying in a pow camp in the jungles of Korea, I just don't think it is safe during a war time to hire someone for this top job who has known potentially life-threatening health issues.

goprairie said...

hmm - health care - i think whether private or public, it will remain overly expensive for one reason - we are stupid health care consumers. we take a doctor as the ultimate expert and never question. they prescribe so many tests that do not ultimately affect the success of care. running two or three cultures on an infection gets you roughly the same information in the same time frame as taking an antibiotic for 10 days. the tests cost $150 each and the anti-biotic costs $10. but you have to have the nerve to say 'what is that going to cost me' and 'what are the alternatives' and you have to have a doctor who will not be offended and walk out when you ask a question like that. intelligent consumers are the only way the cost of anything gets lowered ever.

Chuckles said...

Hillary's speech was great. Michelle's speech was very good. Bill's speech was excellent. What happened to Kerry? OMG. If he had shown the kind of emotion and compativeness that he showed tonight he might now be running for re-election! Joe was good. AND he actually has a child serving in the military. I've been trying to find a reason not to vote for Obama (primarily because of respect for McCain and his military service) and I'm not finding it. I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening...